NWT Board Forum
One mechanism to help coordinate resource management in the NWT is the NWT Board Forum.
The purpose of the NWT Board Forum is to give organizations involved in land use planning, environmental assessment, land and water regulation and resource management an opportunity to learn from one another and to coordinate activities. The Forum is intended to improve and maintain effective lines of communication between its members, resolve common issues, and share expertise. It also provides industry, government and other organizations with a structured forum to engage and interact with the Northwest Territories’ co-management boards.
The NWT Board Forum began meeting in April 2004, and has addressed a number of recommendations made in the 2005 Auditor General’s Report to improve the northern regulatory system.
The NWT Board Forum comprises chairs and senior staff members of all NWT resource management co-management Boards, as well as senior officials from the National Energy Board (NEB), Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC) and the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT).
The NWT Board Forum meets twice a year to share information on various resource and environmental issues of common interest and to discuss new initiatives that boards and/or government are undertaking to support the regulatory system in the NWT.
The NWT Board Forum comprises the following members:
- Chairs of the NWT resource management, advisory and environment assessment boards created under the Mackenzie Valley Resource Management Act (MVRMA)
- Chairs of the NWT environmental assessment committees, boards, and co-management bodies under the Inuvialuit Final Agreement and the NWT Waters Act
- Regional Director General of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada
- Assistant Deputy Minister for Environment and Natural Resources, Government of the Northwest Territories
- Chair of the National Energy Board (NEB)
Recently, the Forum carried out strategic planning exercises, and came up with three goals:
Goal 1: A coordinated, sustainable, continually improving and publicly supported natural resource management system exists in the NWT.
Goal 2: Members of the Board Forum are knowledgeable and effective contributors to the resource management regime.
Goal 3: Communities, constituents and clients are informed and engaged in the pursuit of our goals.
Objectives of the forum include:
- Increasing mutual understanding – presentation on current issues
- Identifying and developing collaborative approaches to resolve issues of concern – developed inter-agency working groups
- Planning strategic and operational initiatives of mutual benefit
- Identifying opportunities to share resources and expertise – cross-board opportunities
- Acting as a Forum to hear from industry, government and other interest groups. For example, in last two years, there have been presentations from the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP), the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC), the Mining Association of Canada (MAC) and the NWT and Nunavut Chamber of Mines
- Pursuing training and development initiatives—formalized training committee, materials, and the delivery of courses for board members and staff—is a cornerstone of Board Forum activities.
Examples of courses include:
- Administrative Law
- Board Orientation
- Technical Training
- Public Hearing Course
Course curriculum is available here on the NWT Board Forum website.